It's all about Grace...

The journey to get our baby girl.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Court update!

When we got up this morning, this email from Ted was in my inbox:


Dear Seth & Laura,
“Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.” Proverbs 25:25

Things went well at court this afternoon. We don’t anticipate any problems except just having to wait on the paperwork and God’s timing. Your arrival date is getting closer and we’re sure the anticipation is great! We’ll keep you posted.

Right now Gracie’s birth mother and a social worker are spending the night with us before they return on the early morning train tomorrow at 5:59 A.M.

Gotta run! Time for family devotions with everyone.

In Christ’s Love,
Ted for Bev, Gracie and All in The Home of God's Love


Seth and I hope to have more specifics soon on when we might be able to go to Taiwan. Freeman (the hospital that I work at) is making a major change in starting computerized medication charting May 7th. Since I trained to be a helper for that we will probably wait until a week or two into the new program and then split for Taiwan if the paperwork situation is settled. So maybe around the 20th of this month? Depends on the paperwork. Grace will have just turned 6 months! We are so excited about going over there!! Yippee!

I was looking through the Lonely Planet Taiwan travel guide this morning (that I bought the weekend we found out about Grace) and thinking 2 things: I wish we had the time and resources to spend a month exploring fascinating Taiwan and getting to know its people; and, I am glad we will have some excellent guides to take us around and see the sights! We are planning on spending about 5-7 days in Taiwan (the majority at the Home of God's Love and maybe a few days with some missionaries we know in Taipei) and then a few days in California with our relatives and friends when we return to the States. I am specifically looking forward to seeing Gracie with Seth's grandparents. Visiting with them is important to me because it might be a couple of years before we get to see them again. Seth and I have been blessed with such awesome families...

I was busy last weekend! I bought a stroller/carseat deal (thanks, Mom Wolf!), a highchair and a whole bunch of small essentials for the nursery. My favorite purchase was a soft kiddie brush for all of Gracie's hair!! I think we have most of the items we need. My mom gave us a glider rocker. Mom and Grandma Pat came up yesterday and brought up a huge dresser that my aunt Tina had given us. Seth and I are going to spend this week setting up the nursery. I can't wait to put everything in its place!

Seth and I were praying together last night about Grace's courtdate. To be honest at times in this process I have tried not to think too much about what is going on at that stage in the game because thinking is painful. My friend and fellow adoptive mommy, Misty, always says "I consider this my morning sickness! God has a way of letting adoptive mothers experience the whole "pregnancy" thing, it is called paper work." (Misty and Tron Peterson adopted their beautiful Sarah from the Home of God's Love 10+ years ago. They are one of the major reasons we decided to adopt from Taiwan. The Petersons are now finalizing the adoption of Selah Grace from Korea. So pray for them also!!) Although I had been praying off and on during the last several weeks for everything to go smoothly at the courts, I hadn't been thinking about what exactly was happening at Grace's court hearing. Seth mentioned Grace's birth mom and it all hit me. Here I was being selfish, thinking only of us, and in Taiwan Grace's birth mom was going through an ordeal.


I have developed a deep respect for this young woman. She chose life. It makes me sad that I don't even know her name, someone who is entrusting Grace to us and changing our lives forever, and I can't even pray for her by name. Please help me lift Grace's birth mother up in your prayers, that the Prince of Peace will calm her heart and comfort her. I pray if she doesn't know this great God we serve that He will soften her heart and make himself known to her. I thank God that Grace's birth mom is coming in contact with his servants, Ted and Bev, and pray that God would continue to place people around her that would encourage her and, if she doesn't know the Truth, teach her. I long to meet her in person, give her a great big bear hug, get to know her and reassure her that we will love and take care of Grace. Being realistic, I know I probably won't get that chance but am reassured by the fact that God can comfort her and be by her side and whisper reassurances in her ear for me.

We are so thankful. So blessed. I can't wait to get my hands on Gracie but am trying to continue patiently waiting. Thank you for your continued prayers and encouragement...

Laura (and Seth)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home